I haven’t really said much about my hair since my first hairaversary.Well, my hair turned 2 on the 26th of October and I’m a very proud mother. I have come to fully understand the term ‘Hair Journey’ because a journey is exactly what it’s been. I’ve had my fair share of flat tires but not once have I ever considered turning back. I dedicate this post to my fellow naturalistas who are on journeys of their own. Learn from my mistakes 🙂
Flat Tires, Pot holes & Wrong Turns
- Bleaching– a few months after my big chop, I bleached my ends. I don’t think I’l be doing that again anytime soon. It might have been because i had been inexperienced with caring for my natural hair or even better caring for my natural hair in the winter but I feel my bleached ends lead to …
- Mid shaft splits– I thought I was being very diligent at watching my ends for splits… it wasn’t until too late that I discovered mid shaft splits. I had a head of seemingly healthy hair that was in reality filled with mid shaft splits. I panicked and got…
- Trigger happy I wanted to be absolutely positive that I got every last bit of the splits. Armed with my scissors I went to work. I went from chin length hair to… pretty much square one. Looking back, I was probably being excessive but I became more motivated than ever to regain the length I had lost to those dastardly splits. That was when I found…
These are the sites that have been particularly helpful to me on this journey
- Random product reviews on YouTube
I experimented with shampoos and conditioners for a while. I tried the Design Essentials and the Cantu Shampoo and Conditioner Lines for a while but neither of them was all that and a bag of chips. One day I was watching product review on YouTube and stumbled upon the Hello Hydration Herbal Essence Line (Bigger bottles are much cheaper!) and I haven’t even thought of using anything else since! I highly recommend it.
I use the LOC (Liquid-Oil-Cream) method of caring for my hair.Initially I was using the LCO method because I thought putting oil on before the cream made no sense. I ended up with mid shaft splits so I decided to try something new. I’ve been using LOC since January 2015 and my hair has been quite happy since then.
- For my Liquid I use good old water 🙂
- Oil– From January until the end of August I had been using Olive Oil and my hair loved the stuff! When I got back to school in September I realised I was out of Olive Oil but I had brought with me a two bottles of Jamaican Castor Oil and it’s been agreeing with my hair so far. I’m not too sure which oil I like better. Maybe Olive Oil since it’s not as thick or maybe it’s Castor Oil since i feel it seas in the moisture better. I’ve also heard raved reviews for coconut oil but I haven’t tested those waters just yet.
- Cream– I used to live on Cantu for the majority of my time with natural hair. I tried SheaMoistures Curl Enhancing Smoothie this summer and switched loyalties. It makes my hair feel so soft and magical. The only downside I find with it is that it’s so expensive but you get a big bang for your buck and it’s totally worth it!
What is a road trip without great friends?
- Daily Moisturiser – I was introduced to the Lotta Body Coconut and Shea Style Milk this summer by a friend. Not only does this product smell like Coconut magic but it makes my hair feel so happy!
- Deep Conditioner- Every Strand is another product I started using this summer. My other got a sample at the hair store. I try to use it weekly because it contains olive oil which works wonders for my hair.
I’m happy to announce My hair is just a little bit longer than it was when I had to rid myself of those pesky mid shaft splits. I’ve also learnt the difference between cutting and dusting my hair. My next goal is to achieve Bra- strap Length 🙂